Switching from dextroamphetamine to modafinil. Anyone here used it before?

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
I've been on dextroamphetamine for a few months now and ready for something a little less strong/stimulating. Looked around a bit and discussed it with my doc who also mentioned Modafinil. I've used it a few times in the past but not very consistently.

Has anyone here used it before? Whats it like?

Walker

Oct 7, 2017
Mountain Brook, AL
I used Modafinil a few years ago. I think I was on it for two or three years. Couldn’t tell much difference honestly, but this was during my years of adderall, Ritalin, and other stimulant abuse. I know it’s associated with having Stevens-Johnson Syndrome as a potential rare side effect, and that’s enough for me to stay the fuck away after my extremely shitty luck to get PFS from Saw Palmetto.

Feb 12, 2020
I have tried Modafinil recently twice. A friend swears by them. He explains it as “adderall without the stimulating effect”. What I noticed was that it enhanced my vision a little and gave me an “edge”. While driving after taking modafinil the white lines in the road looked more vivid. But beyond little things I was not all that impressed with my reaction to modafinil.

Have you two taken adderall in the past to treat ADD or for other reasons ?

I have have been curious about dopamine, ADD and Adderall recently. When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia. I always struggled in school and was never treated for either learning disability. When I was a senior in high school I tried adderall from a friend and I remember feeling amazing. I decided though that I wanted to over come the issue with no drugs and never touched adderall again.

Is it correct that adderall targets dopamine transporters in the brain and increases dopamine levels? Any possible connection here with issues like PFS ? Dopamine has been
talked about here before obviously. But what about a pre-existing condition such as ADD making you more prone to having these types of problems? If this is the case increasing dopamine or possibly trying Adderall seems like a logical option.

My reaction to adderall years ago was WAY better than my recent reaction to modafinil. When I experimented with adderall years ago I actually felt as if I was viewing the world through a normal persons eyes lol it was that good. But I also clearly felt overly stimulated. Maybe I would have balanced out though if I continued to take the adderall in a regular basis.

Last edited:

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
I have tried Modafinil recently twice. A friend swears by them. He explains it as “adderall without the stimulating effect”. What I noticed was that it enhanced my vision a little and gave me an “edge”. While driving after taking modafinil the white lines in the road looked more vivid. But beyond little things I was not all that impressed with my reaction to modafinil.

I have have been curious about dopamine, ADD and Adderall recently. When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia. I always struggled in school and was never treated for either learning disability. When I was a senior in high school I tried adderall from a friend and I remember feeling amazing. I decided though that I wanted to over come the issue with no drugs and never touched adderall again.

Is it correct that adderall targets dopamine transporters in the brain and increases dopamine levels? Any possible connection here with issues like PFS ? Dopamine has been
talked about here before obviously. But what about a pre-existing condition such as ADD making you more prone to having these types of problems? If this is the case increasing dopamine or possibly trying Adderall seems like a logical option.

My reaction to adderall years ago was WAY better than my recent reaction to modafinil. When I experimented with adderall years ago I actually felt as if I was viewing the world through a normal persons eyes lol it was that good. But I also clearly felt overly stimulated. Maybe I would have balanced out though if I continued to take the adderall in a regular basis.
I took Dexedrine 5mg for fatigue issues and it works really well, but its also very stimulating. Wikipedia says the following about its actions:
Amphetamine and its enantiomers have been identified as potent full agonists of trace amine-associated receptor 1 (TAAR1), a GPCR, discovered in 2001, that is important for regulation of monoaminergic systems in the brain.[146][147] Activation of TAAR1 increases cAMP production via adenylyl cyclase activation and inhibits the function of the dopamine transporter, norepinephrine transporter, and serotonin transporter, as well as inducing the release of these monoamine neurotransmitters (effluxion).[20][146][148] Amphetamine enantiomers are also substrates for a specific neuronal synaptic vesicle uptake transporter called VMAT2.[21] When amphetamine is taken up by VMAT2, the vesicle releases (effluxes) dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, among other monoamines, into the cytosol in exchange.[21]
Dextroamphetamine (the dextrorotary enantiomer) and levoamphetamine (the levorotary enantiomer) have identical pharmacodynamics, but their binding affinities to their biomolecular targets vary.[147][149] Dextroamphetamine is a more potent agonist of TAAR1 than levoamphetamine.[147] Consequently, dextroamphetamine produces roughly three to four times more central nervous system (CNS) stimulation than levoamphetamine;[147][149] however, levoamphetamine has slightly greater cardiovascular and peripheral effects.[149]

Modafinil seems to be very subtle and a lot weaker than amphetamines which is why im interested in it really. Did it help you stay awake?

Feb 12, 2020
I took Dexedrine 5mg for fatigue issues and it works really well, but its also very stimulating. Wikipedia says the following about its actions:
Amphetamine and its enantiomers have been identified as potent full agonists of trace amine-associated receptor 1 (TAAR1), a GPCR, discovered in 2001, that is important for regulation of monoaminergic systems in the brain.[146][147] Activation of TAAR1 increases cAMP production via adenylyl cyclase activation and inhibits the function of the dopamine transporter, norepinephrine transporter, and serotonin transporter, as well as inducing the release of these monoamine neurotransmitters (effluxion).[20][146][148] Amphetamine enantiomers are also substrates for a specific neuronal synaptic vesicle uptake transporter called VMAT2.[21] When amphetamine is taken up by VMAT2, the vesicle releases (effluxes) dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, among other monoamines, into the cytosol in exchange.[21]
Dextroamphetamine (the dextrorotary enantiomer) and levoamphetamine (the levorotary enantiomer) have identical pharmacodynamics, but their binding affinities to their biomolecular targets vary.[147][149] Dextroamphetamine is a more potent agonist of TAAR1 than levoamphetamine.[147] Consequently, dextroamphetamine produces roughly three to four times more central nervous system (CNS) stimulation than levoamphetamine;[147][149] however, levoamphetamine has slightly greater cardiovascular and peripheral effects.[149]

Modafinil seems to be very subtle and a lot weaker than amphetamines which is why im interested in it really. Did it help you stay awake?
Hmm...

My friend that takes modafinil takes it to stay awake and to treat fatigue. His doctor told him it’s the better option to use for treating fatigue and staying awake because it’s stimulating your brain without stimulating the rest of your nervous system. His doctor claims that by taking it you get the benefit of adderall with out the side effects.

When I took it I had a harder time getting to sleep that night but beyond that did not notice any major advantages with my energy levels. I can’t say that I have chronic fatigue issues though so my experience is probably not what you want to go by. At that time I took modafinil I was also use to staying up for long periods of time naturally working up to 16 hour shifts going home sleeping for 5 hrs and getting up and doing another 16 makes you get use to it. Now I’m in bed ten hrs per day and not use to anything close to that so if I was to take modafinil now I would probable see better gains in energy.

My opinion on modafinil is that It’s not safe to assume that it’s truly side effect free and that there is no chance of anything going wrong. We know all to well Mother Nature sometimes outsmarts these so called wonder drugs. But if you need to be on a drug for fatigue such as Dexedrine the potential benefit of modafinil (treatment for fatigue with out feeling stimulated and worrying if that’s damaging anything else) outweighs the potential risk. This logic only probable applies if you need to take a prescription drug for chronic fatigue which it sounds like you do. In that case it’s worth a shot. I also heard that the generic version of modafinil which most people end up with in the US does not work as good.

bruschi11

Oct 3, 2017
Boston, MA

adderall depletes b2 and b12. Adderall is reason I got sick after college in first place.

Anyone using adderall or stims like that may be taking steps forward in the short term- but long term you’re just burning the candle.

Feb 12, 2020
adderall depletes b2 and b12. Adderall is reason I got sick after college in first place.

Anyone using adderall or stims like that may be taking steps forward in the short term- but long term you’re just burning the candle.
I see

And b2 and b12 are two big things that are making you feel better now right with the whole paradoxical b12 deficiency?

Any links between depleted b2 and b12 and dopamine issues that you are aware of?

bruschi11

Oct 3, 2017
Boston, MA
I see

And b2 and b12 are two big things that are making you feel better now right with the whole paradoxical b12 deficiency?

Any links between depleted b2 and b12 and dopamine issues that you are aware of?
all I know is right side of my brain woke up when I began b2 stuff. Right side of brain is known for dopamine I’ve been told. Gaba affects dopamine function. B2—>FNM by activating b6 w/ magnesium fixes gaba

Wouldn’t be looking to turn neurotransmitters on with medications. You can certainly do it with vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats.

It’s up to you to figure it out though. This b2 thing has been up to me and no one else in getting it to work. It’s been 2.5 long months of trial and error. ARL/TEI- they are up to a company deciding your path. I’d rather decide my own path ahead based on feel.

Feb 12, 2020
Worth taking a look at miraplex, really does help with sleep, cognition and pleasure.

So it’s a dopamine agonist?

Drugs & Medications

Have you taken it ?

Reading about dopamine does sound like it could benefit us. Pleasure sleep cognition. Everything PFS effects ?

I believe adderall is also a dopamine agonist right ?

If dopamine agonists can negatively effect b2 and b12 would taking ample b2 and b12 with a dopamine agonist be a good idea?

Feb 12, 2020
all I know is right side of my brain woke up when I began b2 stuff. Right side of brain is known for dopamine I’ve been told. Gaba affects dopamine function. B2—>FNM by activating b6 w/ magnesium fixes gaba

Wouldn’t be looking to turn neurotransmitters on with medications. You can certainly do it with vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats.

It’s up to you to figure it out though. This b2 thing has been up to me and no one else in getting it to work. It’s been 2.5 long months of trial and error. ARL/TEI- they are up to a company deciding your path. I’d rather decide my own path ahead based on feel.
Interesting. I agree with this

If I was to try a prescription dopamine agonist and get instant benefits my long term plan would be to fix the dopamine issue naturally like you are saying. I think what it would do is make it so I’m not shooting in the dark guessing what’s wrong and how to fix it. If a dopamine agonist fixed me I would no longer be guessing

Feb 9, 2020
So it’s a dopamine agonist?

Drugs & Medications

Have you taken it ?

Reading about dopamine does sound like it could benefit us. Pleasure sleep cognition. Everything PFS effects ?

I believe adderall is also a dopamine agonist right ?

If dopamine agonists can negatively effect b2 and b12 would taking ample b2 and b12 with a dopamine agonist be a good idea?
Yeah I've been taking a small dose to help with the depersonalisation from the androhard at 0.25mg before bed and it's helped with both sleep and mood so far.

Keep in mind I'm not a pfs suffer I reacted badly to a psyche med which caused pssd symptoms.

All I know is miraplex works on d2 and partially d3 receptors and induces drowsiness so I knew it would be of some benefit for myself and had no bad reactions so far.

I do know that some users in the past reported hypersexuality along with gambling tendencies as a side effect lol and some have completely resevered sexual dysunction from it so it's a good drug to experiment with in my opinion with little risks of serious complications unless you're completely reckless with the dose.

Feb 12, 2020
Yeah I've been taking a small dose to help with the depersonalisation from the androhard at 0.25mg before bed and it's helped with both sleep and mood so far.

Keep in mind I'm not a pfs suffer I reacted badly to a psyche med which caused pssd symptoms.

All I know is miraplex works on d2 and partially d3 receptors and induces drowsiness so I knew it would be of some benefit for myself and had no bad reactions so far.

I do know that some users in the past reported hypersexuality along with gambling tendencies as a side effect lol and some have completely resevered sexual dysunction from it so it's a good drug to experiment with in my opinion with little risks of serious complications unless you're completely reckless with the dose.
Interesting

I’m saw P-PFS which makes me even more unrelatable. Some think though that PSSD, PFS, CFS have similar mechanisms so I’m always keeping my mind open

Hopefully the low dose dopamine agonist continues to work for you