Something really bad happened! Need help... Anyone, please! I'm on my last rope.

Bankai900

May 27, 2019
Poland
The diet that CDsnuts recommends on his websight is very similar to the Ray Peat style of eating. The main differences are that CDsnuts isn't afraid of eating nuts and raw vegetables, and Ray Peat isn't afraid of sugar and drinks milk.
It's almost as close as the vegan and keto diet

slader1

Nov 17, 2019
Sugar and milk two thinks that make me feel horrible since getting PFS. Anything over a small amount of sugar at a time from fruit and lets say Cheerio’s that I eat plain almost instantly within 1-3 hrs makes my digestion worse and all of my other side effects worse. The times that I have went extended periods of time with eating only very minimal amounts of sugar is when I felt the best. In fact the best point I was ever able to get to naturally was when I went several months eating 3 sweet green salad’s per day 7 days per week. So the only sugar I was getting was any sugar in the salad dressing. I was spending like $50 per day on salads but could afford it at the time. I was 190 pounds but felt good in a natural way. I wonder if I kept doing this if I would have recovered.

Even without PFS I just can’t see how sugar can be a good thing for anyone. It makes sense that after seeing how poorly “an unhealthy” system that’s clearly not working the right way reacts to sugar that it can’t be good even for a healthy system
Well honestly the most intelligent, energetic people I know are peaters, many of whom consume dairy and all of whom consume sugar either from juice, fruit or cane sugar. Sugar itself is theoretically metabolized very readily by the liver because it is very easily converted to glucose. In theory a high carb diet should keep adrenaline, cortisol, estrogen low and androgens high. I think the main reason sugar is a problem with pfs is because the liver is dysfunctional. Lower neurosteroids destroys the vagus nerve, which damages the liver and intestine. Therefore it may be better in the pfs scenario for the body to use ketosis for energy and bypass the liver. Or eat far fewer carbs and create less of a burden on it. Dairy is probably an issue for many people due to the casien protein being inflammatory in at least some individuals. With a dysfunctional intensinal track (again thanks to a bad vagus nerve), PFS'rs are much less likely to tolerate it.

Last edited:

slader1

Nov 17, 2019
My "safe" carb sources right now are blue corn tortilla chips (Jackson's Honest which are fried in coconut oil, there's also a brand from Thrive Market I believe without vegetable oil), butternut squash, cassava chips from Terra, adzuki beans, plus small amounts of berries, kiwis, and oranges.

I actually feel more satisfied eating starch and my stools have normalized after 2 years of being often very loose/diarrhea. I attribute that to Fecal Microbiota Transplant (DIY FMT), eating more butter/ghee and taking Probiotic 3 from AOR for butyrate, and going low FODMAP for a few weeks, then slowly adding FODMAPS back in. The FMT is pretty drastic and I don't think most people could pull it off, both doing it themselves and finding a good donor in this day and age.

I'm not sure what to think on the who Ray Peat view of gut bacteria and eating sugars. Sounds great in theory, but only works if you can strictly eat fruit, fruit juices, etc for carbs. That diet was not filling for me and never would have worked long term. I need to have rice, potatoes, chips, squash, etc. at least twice a day to fill full.
Okay, thanks. I did a bit of studying up on FODMAPs, it is an interesting concept. I ahve always suspected that carbs and sugars can feed SIBO and candida. I may have to give this a shot if my gut continues to show signs of dysfunction as it currently does.

BTW I didn't realize you were on antibiotics. Is this long term? This could be why you are able to tolerate starch and vegetables well. The antibiotics will clean up any endotoxin created there. Can I ask how long you were following a peat diet for? How much coffee you were drinking each day? When I initially drink coffee it does a lot to perk me up and reduce my symptoms, but a couple hours after I definitely feel the symptoms again and get more anxious and tired. I should really try to ween off of it and cut it out entirely to see if it helps. My brain fog is still so bad, and I suspect it is largely related to my gut and liver. Perhaps coffee is rough on both of these organ systems.