Raven Log

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
Hey, raven from the PSSD forum here, I've been suffering from PSSD for 18 months now, recently got my blood test back and the results are pretty interesting.
Symptoms:
Low libido,
Erectile Dysfunction
Extreme anhedonia and emotional blunting
Numb genitals

Potassium 4.4 mmol/L (3.5 - 5.3)
Calcium 2.68 mmol/L (2.10 - 2.55)
Albumin 54 g/L (35-50)

LH 3.6 IU/L (1.7 - 8.6)
FSH 2.4 IU/L (1.5 - 12.4)
Oestradiol 20 pmol/L (95 - 223)
Prolactin 212 mU/L (86 - 324)
Progesterone 0.6 nmol/L (0.7 - 4.3)
Testosterone 12.0 nmol/L (8.64 - 29.00)

Left off a few minerals that are in normal age. Wondering what you guys make of these?

Oct 4, 2017
Europe
They would probably tell you to have a look at the zinc finger protocol!
Have you thought about doing a hair test, to know about your metabolism and balance your minerals and know how you are doing with zinc and copper?

From my part, with numness and anhedonia, I would use a lot of the cdsnut protocol for stress management, and especially work on the felt sense. Also things like tapping on the skin or shower pulser with change of pression and temp etc. And also according to the friends you have and understanding, use the human connexion to make you feel more. Without forcing, without wanting to change the feeling, but experimenting with what you can feel. It has to - and will - change by itself. Focusing and paying attention to the minimum that is here is the first step of a journey! If we think that when we are a sick child in bed, or ill at hospital, we always feel a bit better when someone is making compagny to us.... this makes sense that it helps to change, even with no change in supp or med!

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
Looks like acidosis. Albumin is high, free calcium is high.

This looks like the opposite case of many PFS, who are in alkalosis and have high progesterone. I'm guessing highly sensitized receptors and low hormonal activity.

What is your cholesterol intake like? Mineral intake? Have you tracked using something like Cronometer before?

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
@Canari I'm actually starting Cdnuts herb cycle soon, and have been on the rest of his protocol for a while, it's definitely helped my productivity, I was totally bed bound before it and it's got me active and engaged with life again, unfortunately not yet helped the anhedonia. I will definitely take your advice on board, cheers!

@mattyb
I'll look into that thanks. Yeah many in the PSSD community have high progesterone too, but I don't think it's as clear cut as we initially thought. Here are the Progesterone levels I can find:

Coraggio 0.4 - (0.1-0.2) [high]
nonsense 1.8 - (0.2-0.5) [high]
mcmare 0.3 - (>0.2) [high]
Glitch 87 - (42-196) [normal]
DoIt 0.19 - (0.1-0.2) [in range but high]
marsupial - 0.4 - (0.0-0.47) [in range but high]
Kinncrimson - 0.2 - (0.3-1.0) [low]
Retron 7 - 0.324 ng / ml (0.05 to 0.149) [high]
Recovery - 0.5 - (0.1-0.6) [in range but high]
sjv16477 - 0.68 (0.0-0.5) [high]
raven - 0.6 nmol/L (0.7 - 4.3) [low]
Here to Heal - 0.1 - (0.2 - 1.4) [low]
fablecloth - <0.5 nmol/L (range: <4.1) [low]

Also wondering why the ranges differ so much, even factoring in changes in units. Clearly me and fablecloth seem to be the only ones above who got our units in nmol/L, but converting that to ng/mL still gives an upper range of 1.4, and by that measure, e.g. marsupial/Retron7 would actually be in range but low. If they've given me the female range by mistake and I should be using one of the other ranges then I might be actually high...

Anyway we have less data on oestriadol levels but I haven't seen anyone who doesn't have low oestriadol. Could it be possible that there's a stronger correlation there than with progesterone?

Last edited:

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
Thanks for collecting those! And yes, every lab will likely use different reference ranges. I suspect most reference ranges are based on post-menopausal women, since they are more well studied than men but have similar prog levels. We definitely don't seem to see consistently normal prog levels though, they are either high or low or near borderline.

Are these blood tests from when you were doing the CDnuts protocol? Or before/after?

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
@mattyb These are from 3 months of exercise as seen in CDnuts protocol and decent diet though not perfect. I'm starting the herbs soon but they haven't arrived yet.

Yeah I get that re: reference ranges, but a couple on the list seem to be significantly different. E.g. mine which is 0.2 - 1.4 (ng/ml) as opposed to a lot of the others which are <0.5. Would be good if we could somehow standardise all the data.

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
@mattyb

What do you make of this?
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Normal_Progesterone_Levels_Men.aspx

If true then a lot of the progesterone levels we record as high are actually normal, and the data is a lot less clear
I don't think the reference ranges for men are well established at all. Most of the time they adopt the reference ranges from post-menopausal women to men because that population has been studied adequately. I don't think reference ranges for healthy young adult men have ever really been tested, so everything is guess work. I haven't found any literature on normal prog levels in healthy young men.

I think testing prog alongside electrolytes/minerals can give us better indications of what's going on. Your high calcium and high albumin tell me a lot more about what's going on inside of you than your prog. Aldosterone, cortisol, iron panel, and thyroid panel can be other useful metrics as well. ABGs are ultimately the most useful, but difficult to get for most people.

What other tests have you gotten that came up normal? What were the values? Borderline high/low values are important as well.

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
@mattyb

Ah interesting, makes me feel a bit wary about trying Ella or Ru486, don't want to go in totally blind.

Actually had a few more results come in yesterday, but didn't do too many as I went private to speed things up. Will do a more thorough thyroid, iron and adrenal check up on the NHS

Sodium 142 mmol/L (133 - 146)
Glucose 6.7 mmol/L (3.3 - 7.8)
Magnesium 0.86 mmol/L (0.7 - 1.0)
Iron 26 umol/L (10.6 - 28.3)
Serum Zinc 33.5 umol/L (11 - 24) [Way out of range]

Copper, Manganese and Omega6/Omega 3 all bang in the middle of their respective ranges.

Cheers for the input

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
Interesting, all signs point to acidosis (high zinc, calcium, albumin). The one aberration is low-ish magnesium though, but it may be because you are wasting it and super low. Zinc is released in acidosis to protect from acid induced injury.

You seem like a different case then other guys who are in alkalosis. May want to hold off on RU486.

How are digestion, energy levels, and brain fog? Any problems with any of those?

Have you ever had a complete blood count done? That's the test with RBC, WBC, hemoglobin, etc.

Also, speaking of different ranges, if you have a fasting glucose of 6.7 mmol/L (I'm assuming this is fasting) you would be considered pre-diabetic, not normal. What's your BMI?

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
@mattb

Ah no this isn't fasting, I'm guessing that that changes things somewhat? I did these tests mostly for the hormone values and the mineral ones were more of an afterthought. I guess I need to do them again.

Brain fog is really bad but no issue with digestion, energy really varies. Thanks for your help, will post in a few weeks when I have comprehensive fasting bloods done.

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
Fasting won't affect most of the blood test results you have, just the glucose measurement. You probably don't need full repeats of everything, but it wouldn't hurt either. Definitely adding in thyroid, iron and adrenal panels will be great.

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
@mattyb

Hey just one last question. Do you think taking bicarbonate of soda might help? Should I be waiting until I get a more clear diagnosis or would it be worth a try now? Cheers

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
@mattyb

Hey just one last question. Do you think taking bicarbonate of soda might help? Should I be waiting until I get a more clear diagnosis or would it be worth a try now? Cheers
It could be worth trying in the interim, but just keep in mind that it can negatively impact digestion. It's a pretty low risk intervention though, so experimenting with it might be worth it especially in small dosages at first. I don't think it is a permanent solution, but could help until you figure out a more permanent solution.

I think finding a reason for the acidosis is more important. Maybe carbonic anhydrase isn't working that well and we need to get it back online. Your zinc is already high though, so supplementing with that probably won't help. This is a case where histidine supplementation may be useful, but I am also reluctant because if your digestion is fine your stomach acid production may be fine which means histamine secretion is fine. Lactic acidosis may be another cause, but I can't say for sure with those tests - it would explain the normal potassium, but the high calcium doesn't make sense in that context.

Were you on any other medications or supplements during those blood tests? Any crazy diets?

You didn't have chloride, CO2/bicarb, or anion gap measured by chance did you? Full electrolyte panel is very useful.

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
I will book an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to discuss all this, I take a standard multivitamin and omega 3 but nothing else. I was actually going to start a CDNuts herb cycle but maybe I should hold off for now and just give this bicarbonate of soda a short trial?

So I will look into getting a full electrolyte panel, complete blood count, thyroid panel, iron panel and adrenals checked. Thanks again, really glad I came to this forum, seems like a super productive place unlike every other one I've been on (apart from the PSSD one)

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
So I've been logging my food intake on cronometer the past week and a half, I notice I'm rarely hitting the targets for Magnesium or Potassium despite eating a very healthy diet. Should I be thinking about supplements? My Potassium reading on my last blood test was actually normal

raven

Oct 22, 2017
London, UK
I got all the blood results I could on the NHS. Here are the results (3 images):

I have high folic acid which is interesting cause gbouldev mentioned that it could be worth checking out for the Zinc finger protocol. I don't know whether he was looking for a high or low result.

Other out of range values: High Bilirubin, High lymphocyte count, High albumin, low hbAIc

Any help interpreting these results would be appreciated

cheers,
raven

mattyb

Oct 5, 2017
Slightly high billirubin and albumin point to the liver having a bit of a hard time - but levels aren't excessive or anything. Low HbA1c is really interesting.

High folate might mean active B12 deficiency. This would slightly increase hemolysis, which would raise billirubin and cause low HbA1c.

Not too sure what to make of high lymph count. Could just be because of an infection. Hemolysis can sometimes trigger an elevation in lymphocytes, but I think that is rare.

Might be worth trying out some methyl-b12 to see how it affects you. Could help.