Post-Accutane Syndrome (PAS) - Blood Tests

Flynn

Dec 5, 2017
Hi there,

I'm currently investigating a few causes of PAS and how we could treat them. I thought it might be useful if people published or shared any blood results they have. To make this more useful, if you post any blood results you have, could you also post your major symptoms such as sexual dysfunction or depression etc. Getting a good overall picture of blood tests may prove very useful in the future.

Flynn

Dec 5, 2017
I will start with myself. Main symptoms loss of libido, depression and some anhedonia, anxiety but this may be indirectly related to accutane. Note DHEA-S is only abnormal result. I plan to get progesterone, cortisol and estrogen done. Note that the problem is not likely related to IGF-1/growth signalling and FOXO as has been suspected on other forums.

D.H.E.A. Sulphate * (HIGH) 16.8 umol/L 0.44 - 13.4

FOLLICLE STIM. HORMONE 3.0 IU/L 1.5 - 12.4

LUTEINISING HORMONE 5.2 IU/L 1.7 - 8.6

TESTOSTERONE 25.1 nmol/L 7.6 - 31.4

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 46 nmol/L 16 - 55

Testosterone/SHBG Ratio 54.6 24 – 104

Somatomedin C (IGF-1) 32.3 nmol/l 10.5 - 47.0

GROWTH HORMONE 0.2 ug/L Up to 0.8

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.48 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2

FREE THYROXINE 16.0 pmol/l 12.0 - 22.0

FREE T3 5.6 pmol/L 3.1 - 6.8

IGF BP-3 5.32 mg/l 3.4 - 7.8

B_D_Acc

Dec 17, 2017
Australia
Bloods on TRT at 100mg/week

DHEAS 3600 ug/L 1000 - 4000

OESTRADIOL (E2) * 200 pmol/L <150

PROGESTERONE * 3 nmol/L <3

Testosterone 26 nmol/L 10.0 - 33.0

SHBG 25 nmol/L 13 - 71 (older result)

Electrolytes, Liver Function, Kidney Function and Cholesterol tests all normal

LH and FSH are 0

tanedout

Oct 17, 2017
I've got loads of bloods in my log here;

Tanedout log

In summary;

Testosterone = low
DHT = high
FSH = low-ish
LH = low-ish
Cortisol = high

Potassium = low
Phosphates = low

T4 = high
TSH = low-ish

PAS

Dec 21, 2017
I ve only got my testosterone levels done. Took isotretinoin in July 2015 when I was 20 years old.

July 2016 teststerone - 370 ng/dl (240-900)
july 2017 testosterone - 540 ng/dl
august 2017 testerone - 571 ng/dl

Doctors laughably say these levels are okay. I will get more blood tests done. Can you suggest which ones to take

Last edited:

Flynn

Dec 5, 2017
I've got loads of bloods in my log here;

Tanedout log

In summary;

Testosterone = low
DHT = high
FSH = low-ish
LH = low-ish
Cortisol = high

Potassium = low
Phosphates = low

T4 = high
TSH = low-ish

Have you ever had DHEA-S tested? I think knowing peoples DHEA-S and cortisol could prove useful.

Willylong98

Dec 11, 2017
Alabama
Wow I really think ru is our miracle here boys. I personally think everyone is running it too short for it to do anything. I’m gonna run it for about 3 weeks at 200mg a day

PAS

Dec 21, 2017
This study was done in 2005, have other people on this forum read it? This looks good, the thing that comes to mind is that the paper does not say if the increased values stick or not. Anyways, best of luck for your protocol Willy. Lets hope this rebalances you

PAS

Dec 21, 2017
@Orion your signature says that fasting fixed everything. Did you get the full PAS experience or the symptoms you've written 'major issues'. I just completed a 3 day water fast, and the only difference I feel is total lack of my already dead libido.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
@Orion your signature says that fasting fixed everything. Did you get the full PAS experience or the symptoms you've written 'major issues'. I just completed a 3 day water fast, and the only difference I feel is total lack of my already dead libido.
My major issue were worsen skin after accutane, extreme oiliness with flaking skin, shedding and excessive dandruff. Fasting seems to have cured the acne and dandruff, but still dealing with minor oily face now and shedding.

Even though I took two rounds of accutane, I never experienced pronounced libido or mental sides which most have reported. But after long fasting, everything in the sexual side is much better, fuller, better sensations, so there were minor sides that I couldn't directly notice.

Flynn

Dec 5, 2017
I ve only got my testosterone levels done. Took isotretinoin in July 2015 when I was 20 years old.

July 2016 teststerone - 370 ng/dl (240-900)
july 2017 testosterone - 540 ng/dl
august 2017 testerone - 571 ng/dl

Doctors laughably say these levels are okay. I will get more blood tests done. Can you suggest which ones to take

Would be useful to know DHEA-S, cortisol and progesterone. Depending where you are based, you can go private. In the UK, I got my DHEA-S tested along with test and some others as part of a package was fairly cheap and easy. To be honest, having test of 540-571 ng/dl whilst not super high, isn't abnormal. I highly doubt our problems are related to testosterone anyway. I've experienced very high test levels with no change in sexual symptoms.

Flynn

Dec 5, 2017
Could people try to post their symptoms with their blood results as it avoids confusion. For instance, PAS sufferer 1 may have skin problems whilst PAS sufferer 2 has libido issues. If they both post bloods with conflicting results without stating symptoms. We may deduce that one hormone can't be related to PAS because PAS 1 has high level and PAS 2 has low level despite them suffering completely different symptoms.

We need to be able to correlate specific hormone with specific symptoms, that is if any correlation exists.

Flynn

Dec 5, 2017
I couldn't access this article, only the abstract. I'm not sure what the relevance of this is? I think the article is simply saying that the results for test and estradiol blood tests can be affected if you are taking RU.

This article is interesting, I didn't know that RU was an androgen receptor antagonist. I wasn't aware that it could increase DHT so significantly. However I think the most interesting thing about RU is its ability to potentially sensitize glucocorticoid receptors, if this is our problem. RU does show some promise. I'm not sure which PAS people have tried it?

Willylong98

Dec 11, 2017
Alabama
I couldn't access this article, only the abstract. I'm not sure what the relevance of this is? I think the article is simply saying that the results for test and estradiol blood tests can be affected if you are taking RU.

This article is interesting, I didn't know that RU was an androgen receptor antagonist. I wasn't aware that it could increase DHT so significantly. However I think the most interesting thing about RU is its ability to potentially sensitize glucocorticoid receptors, if this is our problem. RU does show some promise. I'm not sure which PAS people have tried it?
I’ll be the first! I really think this is gonna be the cure for me. All my problems relate back to my adrenal insufficiency!