Nina’s Log

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
I contacted Catherine through email earlier today and decided to get a hairtest done so want to start a log to keep track of everything

Current stats: F/5’9/135lbs/16-18%% bf (based on pics)

Current symptoms:
- racing mind, fatigued body is how i would describe myself in general
- OCD Tendecies
- motion sickness (car especially)
- strong salt cravings, makes me puffy though
- dry skin
- dry/thin hair
- pale skin
- night sweats
- cold hands and feet
- moderate fatigue
- dry, burning lips
- absent period (missed last month)
- intolerant to fatty foods (causes lower stomach cramping and pain + diarrhea)
- undigested food in stool (sometimes)
- easily flushed face
- shortness of breath (gets better after exercise)
- sometimes puffy face
- sugar cravings
- easy bruising
- mood has been kinda down, low motivation
- fluid retention legs
- forgetful
- poor coordination, slow reflexes
- low blood pressure (100-105/60-65)
- low pulse during rest (low 50s, sometimes dipping into 40s)
- allergic reactions to perfume/deodorant
- constant nasal congestion
- ‘freeze’ reaction to stress
- poor appetite, protein makes me nauseous, only crave sweets/desserts

Supplement history:
- High dose zinc for ~2 years (50-100gr daily, thought i was coppertoxic)
- B complex daily (megadose of all of them)
- High dose vitamin c for ~2 years (8-10grams, copper toxic thing)
- Manganese for a year or so, 10-15mg/day
- Magnesium, 800gr/day for over 2 years

Currently not taking anything.

What my bloodwork says:
- Thyroid: OK
- Cortisol: Low in morning, High at night
- Hormones: OK
- Liver: Enlarged (ultrasound)
- Lymph nodes: Swollen, especially in my neck (ultrasound)
- Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin D deficiencies

Diet:
2500 calories/day, high protein, moderate fat and carb. Poor appetite, pretty hard to get it all in.

Most symptoms from pre-fast are back, unfortunately. Not feeling as good anymore. Doctor has literally no idea what is going on and doesn’t know what to test anymore. I appreciate his effort though.

Last edited:

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
Have you been tested for autoimmune and viral hepatitis lately? Seems like a good place to start.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
Did you try HCl with meals and the chloride salts, wobenzyme or biozymes?

Post long fast I got rid of most symptoms with increasing sodium(ALOT, to balance out potassium), especially the cold/hands and feet . Alot of those symptoms listed above seem to be salt related.

Electrolyte protocol and liver flushes(completed 4th) are really pushing my progress, along with taking the proper minerals after recent hairtest.

Will be interesting to see your hair results.

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
Did you try HCl with meals and the chloride salts, wobenzyme or biozymes?

Post long fast I got rid of most symptoms with increasing sodium(ALOT, to balance out potassium), especially the cold/hands and feet . Alot of those symptoms listed above seem to be salt related.

Electrolyte protocol and liver flushes(completed 4th) are really pushing my progress, along with taking the proper minerals after recent hairtest.

Will be interesting to see your hair results.
I have tried those yes, with minimal effects. Salt helps somewhat btw, i like it and crave it

Last edited:

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
At the moment the thing that is helping the most is eating lower carb and more protein and some fat instead. It takes away the fatigue and the fluid retention but my lips get painfully dry and red on low carb diets. I suspect im a slow oxidizer as i definitely have issues with carbs still.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
At the moment the thing that is helping the most is eating lower carb and more protein and some fat instead. It takes away the fatigue and the fluid retention but my lips get painfully dry and red on low carb diets. I suspect im a slow oxidizer as i definitely have issues with carbs still.
Same I do best with 50% protein, 30% complex carbs only, 20% animal fat. And more salt improved things alot. No dry lips for me, still have oil production on face, seems to slowly be declining though.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
You ever tried keto?
ya did zero carb thing for 9 months, several years ago, it destroyed me further, it was part of the downward spiral after accutane, trying to get back to healthly. Complex carbs seem to be the key for me(slow oxidizer), avoiding white carbs as much as possible for now, but will still eat them occasionally(sugar, rice, pasta, breads... just not staples anymore)

Yura

Mar 12, 2018
Czech Republic
"avoiding white carbs"
Just because they are white doesn't mean that they can't be low GI as a part of meal.. For example white basmati rice has low GI and when you add protein, fats and fiber than it doesn't matter if it's white or not.. Even white jasmine rice alone has very high GI, but with vegetables, fats and protein. The GI of the meal is low.. But for some reason I have hypoglycemia from potatoes even if I add protein and fats..

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
ya did zero carb thing for 9 months, several years ago, it destroyed me further, it was part of the downward spiral after accutane, trying to get back to healthly. Complex carbs seem to be the key for me(slow oxidizer), avoiding white carbs as much as possible for now, but will still eat them occasionally(sugar, rice, pasta, breads... just not staples anymore)
Interesting, i crashed on keto too and i think the high fat just slowed the oxidation rate even further.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
"avoiding white carbs"
Just because they are white doesn't mean that they can't be low GI as a part of meal.. For example white basmati rice has low GI and when you add protein, fats and fiber than it doesn't matter if it's white or not.. Even white jasmine rice alone has very high GI, but with vegetables, fats and protein. The GI of the meal is low.. But for some reason I have hypoglycemia from potatoes even if I add protein and fats..
My goto white carb is basmati or potatoes, slow oxidizer diet mentions avoiding them all though, so will stick with it, using rye sour dough, beans and legumes in their place, whole oats on weekends some times.

MNK99

Nov 6, 2017
underworld
I find some white rice/potatoes post strength training (carb backload as some call it), to be fine. Legumes, etc not for me, and no bread/other grains at all. But my stomach is sensitive even in great health. Some legumes fine, but I'm not sure what they're called and barely eat them unless I'm super hungry and there in the house. Living solo, nearly never unless someone else cooks it and I don't want to seem rude.

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
The reason you can't handle carbs is because your liver is swollen and can't store glycogen. So your osmotic balance shits to the extracellular medium and water is drawn out of the body to balance the increasing glucose solution - this causes you to retain fluids and get puffy, swollen, and fatigued. It is kind of like a pseudo-diabetes. Your saving grace is that you are physically active and an athlete, which helps your muscles retain more glycogen. Otherwise the issue would probably be much much worse.

The reason you feel better on low-carb is because it inhibits this process, and because it deprives either viral or autoimmune processes energy (because they both require glucose). But this is not a good long-term solution, because if it is viral or bacterial (which it probably is), then you need the immune system to have enough energy to clear the virus. The long fast really helped because it put pressure on the virus by inducing autophagy - which will slow cellular machinery and eat the infected cells, releasing the viruses from inside to be destroyed by the immune system. But it didn't get rid of it all because it's a non-specialized process.

I'm not sure what to do exactly if this is the case. Do you have tests for MHC? Lymphocytes? NK Cell activation? Interferons? We know you make antibodies to EBV, so the problem isn't there. I think if the virus is hiding out, and surviving for years, the body isn't responding properly so you might have issues with MHC or NK cells. Maybe interferon. I'll look into this more to see if I can maybe provide some guidance on fixing this problem.

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
The reason you can't handle carbs is because your liver is swollen and can't store glycogen. So your osmotic balance shits to the extracellular medium and water is drawn out of the body to balance the increasing glucose solution - this causes you to retain fluids and get puffy, swollen, and fatigued. It is kind of like a pseudo-diabetes. Your saving grace is that you are physically active and an athlete, which helps your muscles retain more glycogen. Otherwise the issue would probably be much much worse.

The reason you feel better on low-carb is because it inhibits this process, and because it deprives either viral or autoimmune processes energy (because they both require glucose). But this is not a good long-term solution, because if it is viral or bacterial (which it probably is), then you need the immune system to have enough energy to clear the virus. The long fast really helped because it put pressure on the virus by inducing autophagy - which will slow cellular machinery and eat the infected cells, releasing the viruses from inside to be destroyed by the immune system. But it didn't get rid of it all because it's a non-specialized process.

I'm not sure what to do exactly if this is the case. Do you have tests for MHC? Lymphocytes? NK Cell activation? Interferons? We know you make antibodies to EBV, so the problem isn't there. I think if the virus is hiding out, and surviving for years, the body isn't responding properly so you might have issues with MHC or NK cells. Maybe interferon. I'll look into this more to see if I can maybe provide some guidance on fixing this problem.
How would you know this is it?

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
How would you know this is it?
Well, you said the EBV is still active. So I'm just working from that assumption. You also have a swollen liver and lymph nodes, which is a pretty dead giveaway.

I can't know anything for sure, but I did give you a few things you can test to confirm my ideas. NK cells, MHC, lymphocytes, and interferons.

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
Also have you ever taken like a full month off of sports and work while just resting, and eating well, since you were first diagnosed with EBV?

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
Also have you ever taken like a full month off of sports and work while just resting, and eating well, since you were first diagnosed with EBV?
When i was diagnosed first, i took 3 weeks off. After a few months of still being sick my doc said possibly its CFS. So those 3 weeks turned into 6 months or something. Had plenty of rest but didn’t help. Diet has always been good.