Niacin

mbax44

May 11, 2018
florida
So I’ve been doing the gut drink protocol for a few weeks with decent results. Anyways I decided to take 100 mg of niacin before bed the last couple nights and today I feel rested and refreshed, with a much calmer mind. I vaguely recall niacin being discussed here a bit so thought I’d pass it along.

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
I tried it aswell, i felt calm the first time but when i took it 3 days in a row i felt very very bad. Night sweats, irritability, bad histamine reactions (which i already had but they became a lot worse), excessive sweating, red face etc.

So be careful. Im glad it helped u though.

mbax44

May 11, 2018
florida
I tried it aswell, i felt calm the first time but when i took it 3 days in a row i felt very very bad. Night sweats, irritability, bad histamine reactions (which i already had but they became a lot worse), excessive sweating, red face etc.

Yeah I had previously tried it and it had both positives and negatives. This time so far it’s treating me well. So much depends on a persons body chemistry at the time they take something. Especially for people like us who seem to be very sensitive to things healthy people have no issue with.

boris

Staff member
Oct 3, 2017
Yeah I had previously tried it and it had both positives and negatives. This time so far it’s treating me well. So much depends on a persons body chemistry at the time they take something. Especially for people like us who seem to be very sensitive to things healthy people have no issue with.
Maybe your gut is in line now to a point where you are handling it better, which is a good sign. And I know what you mean how healthy ppl take supplements versus PFS people, it's so annoying

Helen

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017

you take it in high amounts and it kills methylation. to zero. you have viral infection, which means that all your methylation cycle goes into glutathione side, means very little is left for adrenaline, you dont have adrenaline, thus your cortisol goes high

mbax44

May 11, 2018
florida
I should also note besides the gut drink I’ve been taking plenty of methylation agents including vitamin b12 oil and Thorne multivitamin. Perhaps the added niacin is working well as a counterbalance. All I know is it feels very pleasant. Also haven’t touched alcohol in a couple weeks.

mbax44

May 11, 2018
florida
Maybe your gut is in line now to a point where you are handling it better, which is a good sign. And I know what you mean how healthy ppl take supplements versus PFS people, it's so annoying
Yeah. When one has cfs/pfs etc all bets are off on how things are”supposed” to work. Makes it even harder to recover cuz you have to just trial and error . And things that once worked can suddenly turn on you or do nothing. Very frustrating.

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
you take it in high amounts and it kills methylation. to zero. you have viral infection, which means that all your methylation cycle goes into glutathione side, means very little is left for adrenaline, you dont have adrenaline, thus your cortisol goes high
Interesting. I always thought my cortisol was low and adrenaline high.

boris

Staff member
Oct 3, 2017
Yeah. When one has cfs/pfs etc all bets are off on how things are”supposed” to work. Makes it even harder to recover cuz you have to just trial and error . And things that once worked can suddenly turn on you or do nothing. Very frustrating.
When did you start the multivitamin? Where you on the gut protocol for a while then added it in?

mbax44

May 11, 2018
florida
When did you start the multivitamin? Where you on the gut protocol for a while then added it in?
I had been on a b12 protocol as I have tons of b12 deficiency symptoms, and it included the Thorne multivitamin interchanged with the lef 2xday. I’ve had some decent results with it but it’s very powerful and I’ve had to go really slow with it. I have these b12 oils from Australia that are really potent. I started the gut drink like 2 weeks ago and have had positive results since day one.

I’ve had a long history of overuse of antibiotics. Cipro once for 3 months for “prostatitis”.. 7 days of iv antibiotics during a hospital stay last winter. There are many more. My digestive system has been a total mess. Anyways the niacin experiment has been noteworthy for me as it’s the first time I’ve taken it where I’ve actually felt it the way others have described. Feels great.

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
. And I know what you mean how healthy ppl take supplements versus PFS people, it's so annoying
That is misconception, 'healthy' people dont take supplements. From the rest whom are taking one need higher than usual amounts and other even higher than that to make a difference.

Last edited:

boris

Staff member
Oct 3, 2017
That is misconception, 'healthy' people dont take supplements. From the rest whom are taking one need higher than usual amounts and other even higher than that to make a difference.
Go to Ray peat forum plenty of them do my friend, they are healthy right ))

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Go to Ray peat forum plenty of them do my friend, they are healthy right ))

If they are staying there is a forum probably not healthy, by 'healthy' mean some that are not interested in that matter or not forced to be. The other more or less need sometimes few hundreds mg of a vit a day for some time to see changes on the tests after activating some enzymes.