House, Techno, Tech House, Progressive

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I like that the Korg MS-20ic maps to the equivalents on Korg plugins including Polysix, Monopoly and M1. Now I can play around with the sound of the M1 using the encoders as if it were an analog synthesizer and come up with even more sonic variations. Before I used to just pick a preset on the M1, now I can play around with it as if it were an MS-20.

I see, firstly i though you were doing remastering or some like that, but as it seen you design as well. For ex. im easy on the toys having just an audio interface to tweak the volume of the output to speakers esp the big one and headphones using simplest with balanced ins and outs Yamahas: Steinberg CI1.

Listening to Trent Reznor in studio one see that the guy actually knows more about music than just simply signing, and thats why its not strange the music sounds this way.

Last edited:

OmicronPlus

May 24, 2018
Southern California
Ah yes, I'm familiar with that video.

Are you running a 2.1 setup? Sounds like you have a subwoofer.

I'm just running a Stereo 2.0 setup. 2x KRK RP8 G3's and Sony MDR-V6's using the Steinberg/Yamaha UR22 MKII Audio Interface but would like a USB 3 audio interface and 3/4 outs with similar dimensions to see if if eases the latency and use it to cue tracks on a separate channel for DJ'ing with Ableton Live.

This type of DJ setup is a "Hybrid Setup" (MIDI controllers, DAW, synths, drum machines) for live audio manipulation and playing synths on top of the sound.

OmicronPlus

May 24, 2018
Southern California
I just build tracks but recently got into DJ'ing with Ableton Live and doing that "Hybrid Setup" to do stuff on the fly and see what I can throw at it. I usually just start building stuff but I should use the Session view a bit more to do all sorts of interesting things. I have a Launchpad Mini and Push 2.

That's why I'd like an audio interface with 3/4 additional outs as well so I can cue tracks. Mine is just limited to 1/2 and it cuts out a lot.

I'd also like to explore some Max4Live devices and hack my Launchpad Mini to do weird things with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Im sure you do, hes explaining what a real musicians do.

I just build tracks but recently got into DJ'ing with Ableton Live and doing that "Hybrid Setup" to do stuff on the fly and see what I can throw at it. I usually just start building stuff but I should use the Session view a bit more to do all sorts of interesting things. I have a Launchpad Mini and Push 2.

I'd like to explore some Max4Live devices and hack my Launchpad Mini to do weird things with it.

Regarding usb 3 i suppose you would wanna stay with steinberg so then the choice is not that huge, heres one of the ywo: UR44C zero latency, 4 outs and dimensions are a bit similar as well :) This will give you way more options than UR22 hooking up toys through it.

I skipped on the sub that comes along with the KRKs and went for some better which according to manufacturer has this specifications:
Frequency Response (-6 dB) 60 Hz – 18 kHz which is not that bad, well K12 goes a bit lower but compared to the sub in that series which gets to 48 Hz. Oh well.

1578935483251.png

Sometimes i use all three speakers at once, i use the KRKs as bookshelves and the QSC as main and just connect them. The upper channel A and B are INs and the other end are TRS and go into the steinberg, on the QSC all are XLRs and the lower ones are out towards KRKs XLRs. If i want to listen the KRK alone just connect the XLRs from the photo, if want the QSC alone it just goes to it via the audio interface, if no PC in near i use 2 TRSs to stereo jack and hook it to the phone (or PC phones jack if no audio interface is avail), esp with the QSC which i usually take out.
My headphones are Sony MDR-V150 and were the first thing i got from all mentioned back in 2006 and they still work as good as when i got them, the only thing that require maintenance is the speakers membrane cover cause it start to fall off after 5 years :)

IMG_20200113_150704.jpg
IMG_20200113_151549__1578936524_82190.png IMG_20200113_151400__1578936559_87487.png

OmicronPlus

May 24, 2018
Southern California
I'm working on building Instrument Racks in Ableton Live where I can control multiple VST's at the same time just like Korg Legacy Cell or Arturia Analog Lab. A "Multi".

I would add for example a Roland Juno-106, Arturia DX7, Korg Polysix and an Ableton Operator, give them each an individual chain of effects, add samples and blend between the sound sources with the Korg Kontrol49's X/Y stick as if it were a custom Korg Wavestation.

There's no limit how much you can add but let's say I use six sound sources and switch between them using the X/Y stick and the mod wheel. Like 3D sound.

OmicronPlus

May 24, 2018
Southern California
Im sure you do, hes explaining what a real musicians do.

Regarding usb 3 i suppose you would wanna stay with steinberg so then the choice is not that huge, heres one of the ywo: UR44C zero latency, 4 outs and dimensions are a bit similar as well :) This will give you way more options than UR22 hooking up toys through it.

I skipped on the sub that comes along with the KRKs and went for some better which according to manufacturer has this specifications:
Frequency Response (-6 dB) 60 Hz – 18 kHz which is not that bad, well K12 goes a bit lower but compared to the sub in that series which gets to 48 Hz. Oh well.

View attachment 2141

Sometimes i use all three speakers at once, i use the KRKs as bookshelves and the QSC as main and just connect them. The upper channel A and B are INs and the other end are TRS and go into the steinberg, on the QSC all are XLRs and the lower ones are out towards KRKs XLRs. If i want to listen the KRK alone just connect the XLRs from the photo, if want the QSC alone it just goes to it via the audio interface, if no PC in near i use 2 TRSs to stereo jack and hook it to the phone (or PC phones jack if no audio interface is avail), esp with the QSC which i usually take out.
My headphones are Sony MDR-V150 and were the first thing i got from all mentioned back in 2006 and they still work as good as when i got them, the only thing that require maintenance is the speakers membrane cover cause it start to fall off after 5 years :)

View attachment 2143
View attachment 2145 View attachment 2144
Nice!

I wanted to do a surround sound setup and explored different configurations including 5.1 and 4.0 Quad, even wanted to get a KRK subwooferbut was told it complicates things so ultimately kept Stereo. Two KRK RP8 G3's have all the sub I need and I keep things standard 2.0.

I WAS looking into doing Dolby Atmos but got turned off by the stupid limitations and strict requirements (Can only be made on Mac, only Windows 10 supported) and you must purchase a bunch of Dolby crap or the software that makes everything 2 channels. I was looking into making multichannel music with Ableton Live using Surround Max4Live Devices but decided to just get creative with two channels.

OmicronPlus

May 24, 2018
Southern California
Here's what my office looks like when I put all my toys away. I still need to hook these up when I make some room and sort it out.

There you can see my two KRK RP8 G3's and my two AVIA loudspeakers I use for blasting.

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Yes, I've been looking at the UR44C. Looks very good. I originally wanted a UR44 but just found out about this one. 32-bit, 192 KHz USB3.

Wwhat happen to the KRKs membrane, those are all out and need carefuling, ive saved their boxes for transport needs and is happening from time to time, still no issues.

You have got plenty of gear, way more that i would be able to use with 10 fingers :) Those Avia seems like 15'' maybe and looks solid speaker.
You make tracks, we listen to tracks, if you have some author tracks you'd like to show, feel free to do it in future.

UR44C fits what you've said you need i think and is not that expensive compared to the 16x16 but thats probably too much channels anyway. If i'd buy one for myself right now i fit best in what you have UR22 and also UR242, but my CI1 still works even there been numerous accidental drops to the floor through the years.