Hair Analysis Advice Please

Feb 3, 2018
UK
Hi All,

In September 2016 I had a bad allergic reaction to some tea tree oil and a flucoxicillan on my face which ended up with me being hospitalised for a few days. Once the facial swelling and rashes subsided I faced subsequent issues with body rashes, constant cold extremeties and low energy. At this time I also lost about 14 lbs in weight and although my appetite was good, I was unable to put weight on. I had trouble sleeping around this time (frequent waking), heart palpitations etc but thankfully with time this subsided.

I have had numerous tests via my GP for thyroid issues, 24 hour cortisol test and everything else you can possibly imagine! Testosterone was low for a time but the last test indicated that it was ‘within range’, although libido is low in my opinion for a 36 year old male.

Having exhausted the usual medical routes I did some reading on hair sampling and felt I should try this to see if it could identify anything. The testing was done at TEI and I understand you prefer ARL. To be honest I’m rather confused with the results. I should also say I am suffering from mpb.

Just wondering if anyone could provide any pointers or advice based on my hair analysis test. I'm a bit confused as I've been classed as a slow oxidiser (type 4) on this, but according to ARL ratios, I'm a fast oxidiser with a low na/k ratio. Which am I?! Obviously I would like to know as this will affect my recommended diet quiet significantly.

I would be surprised if I was a fast oxidiser as I often have very cold hands and feet and feel quite susceptible to feeling the cold. With the exception of that, I have a very good appetite and really can eat as much as I want without putting on weight.

Attachments

Oct 4, 2017
Spain
The testing was done at TEI and I understand you prefer ARL.
Maybe, as this has never been justified. I think gbolduev says "arl" as a short cut to say "1 of the 2 labs that test hair properly with no harsh washing".

I'm a bit confused as I've been classed as a slow oxidiser (type 4) on this, but according to ARL ratios, I'm a fast oxidiser with a low na/k ratio. Which am I?!
There is a post in a general topic of this lab section, as it happened to others.

Obviously I would like to know as this will affect my recommended diet quite significantly.
Use your feeling first, the diet they recommend is just 1 diet for slows and 1 diet for fasts, which makes no sense if you take other criterii into account. I have a better fat metabolism and they want me to go lower on fat than carbs, when I have a problem with carbs? No way. My test is TEI too.

Oct 4, 2017
Spain
Big warning about tea-tree oil!

I do use it and it is a useful oil, but I have heard about so many allergies! How long did you use it in a row? I think it has to be used short term only, as allergies do not declare when 1st using it. It seems from accumulation, and then there is like a sudden breaking point.

Feb 3, 2018
UK
Ok, just got the results for my second hair test today. Oxidisation rate seems to have changed from slow 4 (fast for ARL) to fast 3 under TEI. Looking at the ratios it appears I have headed more towards mixed oxidisation from what I can gather reading through ARL stuff.

I've pretty much overhauled my diet since the first hair test and massively increased the amount of veg I eat. A typical day for me would be;

Breakfast - Half cup of porridge made with Raw milk including sunflower seeds, dessicated coconut and pumpkin seeds.

Morning Snack - Cooked veg including sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, leeks, brocolli and spinach. I usually take a tablespoon of roasted tahini with this.

Lunch - The same as morning snack, with the exception of cooked lamb mince rather than tahini for protein,

Dinner - Larger version of lunch with chicken legs / thighs for protein; I normally consume a couple of cacao / coconut frozen pieces after dinner.

Pre-bedtime snack - Gluten free toast and cheese, glass of kefir every 2 or 3 days and sometimes an orange.

Supplements - 50mg zinc, 400mg ashwaganda, 50mg p5p, 200 ug kelp capsule, 100mg lipolic acid. I take the odd magnesium citrate tablet if I've been exercising.

I don't feel much different to when I had the last test. I have cut back on more strenuous exercises, but intend to begin cycling to work again, so unsure if this will affect my adrenal ratio or whether it was my diet causing it previously. I still have the same issue with low body temp, cold hands and feet, hair sheds more aggressively some days than others, frequent night urination etc.

Can anyone offer any advice on my diet or things I should be considering in light of this latest hair test? I understand that TEI and ARL differ in that regard, but I do notice much less in terms of blood sugar swings that I had been suffering when I was on a more RP like diet bac in the summer of 2017.

Attachments

Goose12

Oct 6, 2017
My tei htma looks very similar to yours. I am classified as a slow 3 and my main issues are low na/k ratio and high iron.

I suffer from pfs caused by saw pallemento. I was reading up on iron and high iron can cause balding, low labido, liver problems, fatigue, and allergies. These were all things that were blown out of proportion for me after saw palmetto.

It looks like you are on track with your new hair test.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
What supplements/packs did they recommend? You can look up the packs, and adjust your mineral intake with supps and chronometer on your own.

Feb 3, 2018
UK
@Goose12 your symptoms sound very similar to mine. Balding, low libido, fatigue, brain fog etc. I did take saw palmetto some time back so cannot say whether this was the cause of my problems. or not. My iron is always high even though I donate blood as often as I can! It's very frustrating, as I believe it is playing some part in my hair loss.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
Since they are rec'ing lots of calcium and copper with some selenium, they definitely think you are a fast oxidizer.

Trace Elements
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 75 IU
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 1.7 mg
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 2 mg
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamine) 6 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (as d-calcium pantothenate) 10 mg
Calcium (DimaCal® di-calcium malate, TRAACS® calcium bisglycinate chelate buffered†) 75 mg
Magnesium (Albion® di-magnesium malate, TRAACS® magnesium bisglycinate chelate buffered†) 35 mg
Copper (TRAACS® copper bisglycinate chelate†) 500mcg
Whole Thymus Glandular (bovine)* 50 mg
Choline (as choline bitartrate) 35 mg
L-Arginine 15 mg
L-Methionine 15 mg
L-Lysine HCL 15 mg
L-Taurine 15 mg
Malic Acid 15 mg
Whole Pancreas Glandular (bovine)* 10 mg
PABA (Para-aminobenzoic acid) 5 mg
Superoxide Dismutase (providing 16 M.F.U) 2 mg
Co-Enzyme Q10 500mcg

Trace Elements
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 50 IU
Calcium (as DimaCal® di-calcium malate, TRAACS® calcium bisglycinate chelate buffered†) 200mg

Trace Elements
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 500 mcg
Copper (as TRAACS® copper bisglycinate chelate†) 2 mg

Trace Elements
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 2.5 mcg
Vegetarian Pancreatin (4x)
Equivalent to 600 mg Pancreatin USP which provides the following enzymatic activity: 150mg
Protease............... (15,000 USP Units)
Amylase................ (15,000 USP Units)
Lipase................... (1,200 USP Units)
L-Glutamic Acid 10 mg

Trace Elements
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl) 200 IU
Selenium (as L-selenomethionine) 50 mcg

Feb 3, 2018
UK
Thanks for that @Orion

Is it possible for a fast oxidiser to exhibit hypothyroid type symptoms though? I don't think there is an issue with my thyroid per se, but my free t3 levels are always at the lower end of the range. Unsure whether this is being caused by oxidative stress, or some other imbalance.

Weight-wise, I've always been very lean (6 feet tall, circa 67kg), always preferred fatty, heavier foods and can eat as much as I want without putting on weight. I definitely lean to the ectomorph, body-type, but when I read about fast oxidisers, I read about extroverted, ruddy, warm extremity type people, and this certainly isn't me! Scared to start supplementing copper and calcium in case it makes things worse.

Orion

Oct 3, 2017
You can always try the red'd diet and supp/packs for a week(or just the daily mineral amounts rec'd for Ca, Cu and Se), and see how you respond. Minerals can have a very quick effect; good or bad, and take it from there.

Copper is the tricky one... @HerrFisch any comments?

HerrFisch

Oct 7, 2017
Germany
hmm to be honest, I dont really see why they suggest 8,5 mg of copper daily. Thats quite a lot.
Copper levels are not that high. I think TEI ranks Iron worse then copper. Maybe they want to lower that high iron with copper.

If you compare ARL to TEI, youll see that their ranges from copper and iron differ as in that ARL cu goes to 3, TEI to 3.9. Iron ARL = 4,2 max TEI Iron = 1.6max.

For me the changes from you hairtest actually look pretty good.
Just because people have problems with copper does not mean that you should not follow those suggestions.

So I´d agree with orion to at least try.

Did really nothing change between those hairtests symptom wise ?

When did you do TEst 1 and when test 2?

Feb 3, 2018
UK
Thanks for the reply @HerrFisch

You may be right on the idea of supplementing copper in order to get the iron levels down. Was unaware that TEI ranked iron as worse than copper. I just know from reading ARL articles (i.e. Dr Wilson), he is big into the idea of everyone having some form of copper toxicity (hidden or otherwise).

Encouraged to hear that you feel this latest hair test is an improvement. The originai test was done at the end of Nov 2017 and the most recent was done in March 2018, so just over 4 months between the two. In truth, I only implemented the dietary changes in the middle of January, so in reality I've only been doing it for coming up on 3 months now. I was also taking frequent infrared saunas and enemies, but for some unknown reason I seemed to be shedding loads of hair when doing the saunas. Why could this be? It was either that or the enemas, but it seemed that the sheds got worse after having a few saunas.

Symptoms wise, I'm not sure I notice much of a change. I still suffer from cold intolerance with cold extremeties, missing outer third of eyebrows, fatigue and low libido. Morning wood is a distant memory unfortunately. Hair still shedding and dandruff dry scalp is still an issue. In saying that I am enjoying the higher intake of vegetables and am able to go longer without crashing between meals, so it seems that blood sugar management has improved..

m_arch

Oct 4, 2017
@m_arch As someone who has also moved from a slow 4, what are your thoughts on the recommendations? On the face of it, test 2 seems like a shift in the right direction, but just want to be careful around supplementation.
Your 2nd hair test looks pretty good actually! Except for the high iron. I wouldnt worry about things like "slow 4" or "fast 3", rather the overall levels of the minerals and their ratios are more important.

I wonder how much resting helped you. Thats kinda the one thing i didnt do, because i wanted to be balanced while maintaining exercising (because i want to exercise as part of daily life anyway) so you may find it changes a little when you go back to exercising. Generally i think exercise increases need for magnesium and increases sodium retention. Also if you sweat a decent amount i recommend drinking electrolytes (ideally no sugar)

With regards to supplements, what were you taking to get here from ur slow 4 test? Your test will be better if you can get sodium higher than potassium. "Feeling better" isnt necessarily about more energy. If your mg:na ratio had flipped you will feel less energy since that indicates less adrenal output, but probably better stress tolerance too. Probably better to have sodim higher than magnesium, as long as magnesium is still higher than calcium. Ex