General Q & A

happenstance

Oct 5, 2017
I have a hunch that my symptoms, heavy brainfog among others, stem from peroxynitrite from gathering bits and pieces I've read on phoenix rising. Apparantly the bad reaction from the folinic acid was due to peroxynitrite formation. Carbamide is supposed to get rid of peroxynitrite. On some blood tests I took a while ago I had clinically low carbamide and creatinin, they were under the normal parameter. @gbolduev what could cause low carbamide (urea) and creatinin on blood tests?

JDreamer

Oct 4, 2017
A couple of questions:

Is there a relationship between Gilbert's Syndrome and methylation?
What are your thoughts on the effects of excessive masturbation on the body - particularly in the formative years of teens and 20's?

happenstance

Oct 5, 2017
FWIW My hunch was right it was ROS, I had become copper deficient from zinc and manganese, though I must have been copper toxic to begin with. I think the reason zing manganese made me feel good was partly that it released stored copper and made it bioavailable as I was taking magnesium and potassium chloride. Adding back copper with potassium and magnesium, with methylfolate, now has almost eradicated the brainfog, and my neck that has been cracking constantly for many years is completely fine for many hours after taking copper. I think I actually have a fast metabolism which makes sense since I'm underweight.

raven

Oct 22, 2017
@gbolduev I've heard only bad things about coffee enemas! People getting brain abscesses and the like. What exactly would they do for us? Also do you think omega 3 is worth taking?

Jamie

Oct 14, 2017
@mattyb
I have high ft3, low ft4, high TSH. I am going to see a doc, but I am quite sure she is going to prescribe me something like t4. As I have high TSH she may thought that I am hypo, but I have all the symptoms of having freaking fast metabolism. Is there something else that could increase TSH, and convertion from ft4 to ft3? Like cortisol problems or somethig? I started to having all my problems after acute, 5-months lasting distress. Is that possible my adrenals are burned out?

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
@mattyb
I have high ft3, low ft4, high TSH. I am going to see a doc, but I am quite sure she is going to prescribe me something like t4. As I have high TSH she may thought that I am hypo, but I have all the symptoms of having freaking fast metabolism. Is there something else that could increase TSH, and convertion from ft4 to ft3? Like cortisol problems or somethig? I started to having all my problems after acute, 5-months lasting distress. Is that possible my adrenals are burned out?
I believe rt3 can be caused by high and low cortisol. Do you have any bloodtests?

Oct 4, 2017
Spain
5) People taking supplements , multivitamins ---- without amino acids , there are no carrying systemic proteins in body and all you do with your supplements is make yourself even more toxic in free unbound metals, which will mobilize glutathione and metallothionein again and will cause POIS. CFS
Hair test labs like ARL and TEI propose taking those supplements. As what they propose is global and has to be done fully, what to do with the point 5) you mentioned?

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
@mattyb
That's interesting. Those are pretty contradictory results, but it can happen in some situations. Looks like deodinase activity is being upregulated.

Is your selenium intake super high? I would try restricting selenium intake for a few days and see what happens. I saw this happen to our janitor at work who I talk to often. She had high T3, low T4, high TSH because she was eating brazil nuts by the handful.

Have you ever had reverse-t3 measured?

Last edited:

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
@Jamie - Just to kind of explain what's happening.

So your conversion of T4 -> T3 is upregulated for some reason, this lowers T4. The low levels of circulating T4 tell the brain to make more TRH/TSH in an attempt to raise T4. Although high T3 is also supposed to tell hypothalamus and pituitary to not make so much TRH/TSH, the half life of T3 is super low, and if it's deiodinase type 2 that's causing the issue, this is localized in peripheral tissues and when T4 is converted to T3 in those peripheral areas I would expect it to be consumed rapidly. So the higher circulating levels don't really make it to the brain where they are supposed to be.

Retinoic acid can stimulate deiodinase activity, so the accutane likely caused something to happen and put T4 -> T3 conversion into overdrive.

I think your best bet in the interim is to restrict selenium and cysteine intake dramatically until we/you can figure out a more permanent solution. Selenocysteine is essential for deiodinase, so if you reduce those it should put a temporary throttle on things.

Jamie

Oct 14, 2017
@Jamie - Just to kind of explain what's happening.

So your conversion of T4 -> T3 is upregulated for some reason, this lowers T4. The low levels of circulating T4 tell the brain to make more TRH/TSH in an attempt to raise T4. Although high T3 is also supposed to tell hypothalamus and pituitary to not make so much TRH/TSH, the half life of T3 is super low, and if it's deiodinase type 2 that's causing the issue, this is localized in peripheral tissues and when T4 is converted to T3 in those peripheral areas I would expect it to be consumed rapidly. So the higher circulating levels don't really make it to the brain where they are supposed to be.

Retinoic acid can stimulate deiodinase activity, so the accutane likely caused something to happen and put T4 -> T3 conversion into overdrive.

I think your best bet in the interim is to restrict selenium and cysteine intake dramatically until we/you can figure out a more permanent solution. Selenocysteine is essential for deiodinase, so if you reduce those it should put a temporary throttle on things.
Thank you very much. Such scientific answer is what I yearned for. Actually I eat lots of eggs and chicken, I will stop it to see what is going to happen. I do not have rt3, but I will do this with cortisol

Oct 4, 2017
Spain

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
Thank you very much. Such scientific answer is what I yearned for. Actually I eat lots of eggs and chicken, I will stop it to see what is going to happen. I do not have rt3, but I will do this with cortisol
Eggs are probably the worst for you. High in cysteine, retinol, and selenium. All three things you want to avoid. The cholesterol they have is probably the only saving grace.

Jamie

Oct 14, 2017
Eggs are probably the worst for you. High in cysteine, retinol, and selenium. All three things you want to avoid. The cholesterol they have is probably the only saving grace.
You are probably right here, 2 days ago I eat 10eggs and my hair got drained out of color, thin and brittle. Before I didn't thought there may be any conecction.

I tried to find some information. Is there a possibility that Se in my body is not utylized properly and that causes also glutathione deficiency?- I do not tolerate alcohol well, like 1-2beers makes me feel it really hard, once I got headache after one and a half beer. While 2-3 years ago it was just normal, after 3-4beers I started to feel something. I found somewhere that NAC, wit E, melatonin may be suggested to force Selenium to be used as Selenium Peroxidase and Glutathione Peroxidase. Does this make sense?

mattyb

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
@Jamie

Your deiodinase is probably upregulated, and it has high demands for cysteine and selenium because it's active site uses selenocysteine. Without selenocysteine, deiodinase wouldn't work. This would likely deplete other molecules of selenium, as well as increase the overall demand for selenium since the enhanced metabolism makes more ROS which requires more glutathione.

I think you would do well on a combo of something like calcium 500mg, VitD 3000ui, VitK2 100mcg, magnesium 500mg, glycine 2g, and vitamin E 400ui for a few weeks. This will put calcium into the cells and slow metabolism down, and the vitamin E will help you deal with some oxidative damage. In the mean time, minimize cysteine, retinol, and selenium intake as much as you can, and after taking those supplements for a while to slow you down, you should be good to resume eating more normally (just don't eat 10 eggs per day!) and hopefully you can get off the supplements.

DO NOT take NAC. That will upregulate deiodinase activity, raise T3, and make everything worse.

Jamie

Oct 14, 2017
@Jamie

Your deiodinase is probably upregulated, and it has high demands for cysteine and selenium because it's active site uses selenocysteine. Without selenocysteine, deiodinase wouldn't work. This would likely deplete other molecules of selenium, as well as increase the overall demand for selenium since the enhanced metabolism makes more ROS which requires more glutathione.

I think you would do well on a combo of something like calcium 500mg, VitD 3000ui, VitK2 100mcg, magnesium 500mg, glycine 2g, and vitamin E 400ui for a few weeks. This will put calcium into the cells and slow metabolism down, and the vitamin E will help you deal with some oxidative damage. In the mean time, minimize cysteine, retinol, and selenium intake as much as you can, and after taking those supplements for a while to slow you down, you should be good to resume eating more normally (just don't eat 10 eggs per day!) and hopefully you can get off the supplements.

DO NOT take NAC. That will upregulate deiodinase activity, raise T3, and make everything worse.
thank you very much for explanation and advice, what you say does make lot of sense