FATTY LIVER & FOLATE METABOLISM: Study

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
Dieting bacteria cure fatty liver disease

Mardinoglu and colleagues prescribed a low-carbohydrate dietary intervention in patients with NAFLD over two weeks. To eliminate bias from weight loss, they provided an isocaloric diet in which carbohydrates were replaced by protein. As expected, fat content in the liver declined after the full two weeks, and remarkably, change was even detectable after just one day of dieting. These changes coincided with a metabolic shift from lipogenesis to lipid oxidation and were accompanied by a reduction in markers of liver damage and inflammation.

The authors ascribe the physiological benefits of the low-carbohydrate diet to changes in the gut microbiome. Indeed, one day of diet was sufficient to alter the gut microbial composition, and this transition continued throughout the first week of treatment. Folate-producing bacteria became more abundant, plasma folate levels increased, and folate cycle genes increased in expression when measured in liver biopsies of the dieting patients.

opiath

Oct 18, 2017
Bulgaria
To eliminate bias from weight loss, they provided an isocaloric diet in which carbohydrates were replaced by protein.
How exactly do they replace carbs with protein and keep the diet isocaloric?
That's just illiterate.
People eat 300 grams of carbs per day on average, so they have to replace that with 300 grams of protein.
Nobody eats that much protein lol.

The correct sentence here is "they provided an isocaloric diet in which carbohydrates were replaced by protein and fat".
In other words they removed glucose so the body is forced to burn fat and this upregulates methylation because adrenaline is needed to deliver more fat to cells.

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands
How exactly do they replace carbs with protein and keep the diet isocaloric?
That's just illiterate.
People eat 300 grams of carbs per day on average, so they have to replace that with 300 grams of protein.
Nobody eats that much protein lol.

The correct sentence here is "they provided an isocaloric diet in which carbohydrates were replaced by protein and fat".
In other words they removed glucose so the body is forced to burn fat and this upregulates methylation because adrenaline is needed to deliver more fat to cells.
yep so what is your point? the way i read the study was simply as a keto diet. The reason i posted it was because of the changes in folate metabolism.

MCurtone

Apr 7, 2019
Canada
To take it another step further, this does not simply mean a Ketogenic diet. It's all about the ratio. Obviously it is not straight carbs to protein 1:1, impossible. But Keto is VERY different than carnivore for example. This study is likely not based on a ketogenic diet, but rather carnivorous, which is not keto. As soon as protein begins to exceed 30% of caloric intake, amino acids will be metabolized into glucose via gluconeogenesis. Probably in a metabolic state where fat is the primary fuel but with slightly elevated glucagon and amino acids for fuel.

Regardless this is super interesting. Love how it increases methylation.

5 alpha

Oct 3, 2017
So low carb diet good for fatty liver ?

My diet was low carb for so long. How does one test for fatty liver ?

Oct 4, 2017
Europe
Carnivore can be keto... depends how much fat you eat. I was on carnivore and my ketosticks showed ketones in urine.

But my liver seems to be worse... I mean that it feels congested on the right side, and I can eat only half the meat I could lest year, though I still have appetite for fats.
I am reintroducing low oxalate plants now!
I am so glad I found that oxalates were and still are causing me issues! Best is to know!

I also am not fond of gluconeogenesis, apart from avoiding gut issues with carbs... but it gives more work to the liver! We still have glucose in our blood. The body makes it from proteins when there are no carbs available.