Ceruloplasmin Low

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA
Hey everyone,

6 months ago I got tested for Ceruloplasmin and it was low (19mg/dL). The low cut-off at the lab was 20 mg/dL. Yesterday I tested lower (15.8 mg/dL). What is strange is that at this point my finasteride usage has been tapered extensively (taking a whole milligram less daily at this point), so I was hoping my body would up-regulate ceruloplasmin. I'm concerned I may have Wilson's disease at this point.

Are any of you knowledgeable about ceruloplasmin and what may keep it low other than Wilson's?

Also, I will follow up on this with a hair test in 15 days or so when I get the results.

Helen

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
Hey everyone,

6 months ago I got tested for Ceruloplasmin and it was low (19mg/dL). The low cut-off at the lab was 20 mg/dL. Yesterday I tested lower (15.8 mg/dL). What is strange is that at this point my finasteride usage has been tapered extensively (taking a whole milligram less daily at this point), so I was hoping my body would up-regulate ceruloplasmin. I'm concerned I may have Wilson's disease at this point.

Are any of you knowledgeable about ceruloplasmin and what may keep it low other than Wilson's?

Also, I will follow up on this with a hair test in 15 days or so when I get the results.

yeah, I saw this that ceruloplasmin is way down in PFS in some cases.. what is your estrogen levels?

MCurtone

Apr 7, 2019
Canada
Vitamin A and Magnesium will support Ceruloplasmin. Look up the "Root Cause Protocol".

Liver, magnesium chloride, and an additional source of B's will help.

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA
Vitamin A and Magnesium will support Ceruloplasmin. Look up the "Root Cause Protocol".

I just ordered a hair test from TEI. Should I adopt their protocol, the Root Cause protocol, or electrolyte protocol? What's the best or are they achieving the same thing?

Also, I can't eat copper foods like liver if I have Wilson's or it will poison me, so I want to rule that out.

MCurtone

Apr 7, 2019
Canada
I just ordered a hair test from TEI. Should I adopt their protocol, the Root Cause protocol, or electrolyte protocol? What's the best or are they achieving the same thing?

Also, I can't eat copper foods like liver if I have Wilson's or it will poison me, so I want to rule that out.
TEI should fix you up over time but they might not focus on ceruloplasmin first. You should get confirmation if you have Wilson's or not. Wait to see your TEI results before doing anything, that's what I'm doing. Find out if you are slow or fast oxidizer, etc. @Helen says copper is terrible for slow oxidizers.

I'm not super knowledgeable in this field, but if you are a slow oxidizer and you are already copper toxic due to low ceruloplasmin, then beef liver could be dangerous, but other sources of liver are great for vitamin a and lower in copper. Perhaps chicken liver? But Vitamin A and Magnesium are super important to get ceruloplasmin going. Root Cause protocol goes in-depth. Wait for TEI.

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA
TEI should fix you up over time but they might not focus on ceruloplasmin first. You should get confirmation if you have Wilson's or not. Wait to see your TEI results before doing anything, that's what I'm doing. Find out if you are slow or fast oxidizer, etc. @Helen says copper is terrible for slow oxidizers.

I'm not super knowledgeable in this field, but if you are a slow oxidizer and you are already copper toxic due to low ceruloplasmin, then beef liver could be dangerous, but other sources of liver are great for vitamin a and lower in copper. Perhaps chicken liver? But Vitamin A and Magnesium are super important to get ceruloplasmin going. Root Cause protocol goes in-depth. Wait for TEI.
Thanks.

I try to get vitamin A by butter, eggs, cheese, milk. I don't usually eat liver but I eat shellfish including oysters once a week or so to get these minerals. I've been supplementing with magnesium/b6 daily and lots of vitamin C, but not the root cause "Whole Foods" version but regular ascorbic acid which might be bad.

I looked at Root Cause. It does seem interesting. Their package supplements are expensive so I would probably try to go slow on incorporating them and buy individually. But I agree with you on waiting to know more about Wilson's and waiting to see what TEI says.

Nina

Oct 10, 2017
The Netherlands

Potassium raises ceruloplasmin also

btw if you are slow oxi with low cortisol and low ceruloplasmin, i wouldnt take magnesium. Lowers sodium levels a lot

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA

btw if you are slow oxi with low cortisol and low ceruloplasmin, i wouldnt take magnesium. Lowers sodium levels a lot
I assumed I had high potassium due to being on Fin. Also, my labs in the past suggested high cortisol. Idk if that is just cortisol insensitivity or truly high cortisol.

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
6 months ago I got tested for Ceruloplasmin and it was low (19mg/dL).

Testing it with serum copper at same time to see where you at regarding Wilsons disease criteria website measuring free copper from those two markers. Low Cp alone if always been that low could be a form of aceruloplasminemia if im correct.

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA
Serum copper was normal, pretty mid-range. But I remember calculating free copper and it was high.

Also, idk if this is relevant but I always have high blood pressure and I don't know why.

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA

I think I may have some potassium/sodium imbalance as well. How would this factor into what you said above? it's kind of opposite in some way?
1. High Cortisol
2. fluid retention (edema)
3. Salt craving
4. infrequent urination (no thirst)
4. Hypertension
- (Difficulty breathing/anxiety/dizziness)

*Also, as I am still tapering down fin ( 0.25 fin 3x per week), could be lowering aldosterone and building up cortisone/cortisol?

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA
yeah, I saw this that ceruloplasmin is way down in PFS in some cases.. what is your estrogen levels?
Estrogen [I just did a total serum estrogen test, not specific for estradiol or something, unfortunately], was 97 pg/mL, btw.

Last edited:

Helen

Staff member
Oct 5, 2017
Sorry, I think you can help us greatly if you can test certain things as you are on finasteride still. Are you still on finasteride? @Kjbigman

@Boris

Last edited:

Seekinghealth

Apr 11, 2019
Netherlands
I think I may have some potassium/sodium imbalance as well. How would this factor into what you said above? it's kind of opposite in some way?
1. High Cortisol
2. fluid retention (edema)
3. Salt craving
4. infrequent urination (no thirst)
4. Hypertension
- (Difficulty breathing/anxiety/dizziness)

*Also, as I am still tapering down fin ( 0.25 fin 3x per week), could be lowering aldosterone and building up cortisone/cortisol?
Btw Kjbigman; You write ; 4. infrequent urination (no thirst). Could you tell me whether; you experience urination at night more so than during the day?.

For instance you sleep a block (lets say 3 hours); and pee (Alot); you sleep another block (3 hours again); and pee once more (alot). I have witnessed this with myself for a few times.

Kjbigman

May 25, 2019
USA
Btw Kjbigman; You write ; 4. infrequent urination (no thirst). Could you tell me whether; you experience urination at night more so than during the day?.

For instance you sleep a block (lets say 3 hours); and pee (Alot); you sleep another block (3 hours again); and pee once more (alot). I have witnessed this with myself for a few times.
Sometimes I do wake up needing to pee but not much comes out. It feels like a prostate or bladder pain more than really needing to urinate.